Keep your cheese around for a while
Knowing how to properly store cheese will increase your enjoyment, and help to decrease your cost!
- Cheese should be kept at temperatures between 35 and 40 degrees F.
- New wrapping should be used each time a cheese is rewrapped.
- Cheese should be stored in an airtight container to avoid picking up aromas from other foods. Ideally, wrap the cheese with waxed paper and then place in an airtight plastic container. In a pinch, any airtight plastic bag or container will do.
- Chilled cheeses should be allowed time to warm before serving. Half an hour to an hour should be sufficient.
- Mold on a cheese does not mean that it is spoiled. Just remove approximately ½” from each moldy side of the cheese and serve.
- Cheese continues to ripen while it is stored. Hard cheeses should keep for several months, while soft cheeses should be eaten within a few weeks.