3C's (Crescenza, Curry & Cashew) stuffed Squash
Yield: 8 halves of squash
• 4 each Delicata Squash
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
• 1# ground turkey (or pork)
• 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
• 1 3/4 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 3/4 pound)
• 1 tablespoon curry powder (add more to taste)
• 1/4 cup golden raisins
• ¼ cup toasted cashews – rough chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
• 3/4 cup apple juice
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 2 cups cooked wild rice (or any preferred rice)
• 1 – 7oz Bellwether Farms Crescenza
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Rub squash with 1 tablespoon oil and lightly season with salt and pepper, and then lay on a baking sheet. If squash halves do not sit flat on baking sheet, use a vegetable peeler to trim a strip or two away from the bottom to allow them to lie flat. Bake until flesh is starting to turn tender and a paring knife inserted shows just a little resistance, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Raise the heat of the oven to 400°F. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground meat and cook until done. Remove from skillet and set aside. In same pan add onion and celery; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add apple and curry powder; saute 3 minutes or until apple is tender. Stir in raisins, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, chicken broth and apple juice; cook until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat. Stir in ground meat, cooked rice, cashews and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. At this time you can add more curry powder to your liking.
Place the squash halves onto a baking sheet. Spoon warm stuffing into each half of squash. Cut the crescenza cheese into 16 cubes and place 2 cubes on top of stuffed squash halves. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve warm.