Pear, Carmody & Hazelnut Crostada
Yield: 1 pie, serves 8
For the Crust
- 1 disk pie dough (store bought or homemade)
- all-purpose flour, for surface
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- sugar, for sprinkling
For the Filling
- 1 cup grated Bellwether Farms Carmody
- ½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 4 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges (can sub Apples)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Make the crust: Roll out dough to a 13-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle Carmody and hazelnuts in the middle of the pie dough.
- Make the filling: Toss together pears, cranberries, granulated sugar , flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Fold edges in to form a crust; brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Refrigerate until edges are firm, about 30 minutes.
- Bake crostata until pears are tender and crust is golden, about 40-45 minutes. Let cool slightly. Slice & serve.