Yeilds: 6 servings
- 2 Tlbs butter
- 6 apples, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 C water
- 1 - 7.5oz Bellwether Farms Créme Fraîche
- 3 Tlbs. confectioners sugar
- 3 Tlbs. Frangelico liqueur - 1 tsp of extract can be substituted.
- pound cake, cubed - can be store bought or homemade.
- 1/4 C hazelnuts, chopped & toasted
Melt butter in saute pan. Add cubed apples and saute for 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and cook for 5 mintues more. Add dried cranberries and water. Cook for 10 minutes or desired tenderness. This recipe leaves the apples crisp with lots of texture. If you like them cooked more, add 1 cup of water and cook for 20 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool completly.
In a mixer add creme fraiche and sugar. Mix to a soft peak and then add the frangelico. Mix again to combine and keep a soft shape.
Start with cubed cake on the bottom. Spoon in the apples, then the whipped creme fraiche. Top with nuts. You can decide if you want one or two layers dependant on how you plan to serve - glass, bowl.. This can be out of refrigeration for a couple hours, but if it is going to be longer keep in the refrigerator but take out at least 30 minutes before serving. The Apples can be made a day ahead but assembly needs to be the day of service.