- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon (or vanilla) extract
- 3/4 cup Bellwether Farms Crème Fraiche
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Sonoma Syrup Co. Vanilla-Almond Syrup
- 5 Pears (comice, bosc, bartlett, or anjou), peeled, halved, cored, and cubed
Preparation For cake:
- Bellwether Farms Crème Fraiche, whipped
- powdered Sugar, to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Gradually add sugar and beat until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until blended. Beat in flour mixture, then crème fraiche. Set aside while preparing pears.
For the pears:
Melt butter in 10-inch-diameter nonstick ovenproof skillet (cast iron is preferred) over medium heat. Add brown sugar and syrup; bring to a bubble. Add cubed pears to skillet and cook until golden brown, (there will be liquid in skillet). Remove skillet from heat and let cool 3 minutes.
Carefully spoon cake batter in small dollops atop pears in skillet. Using offset spatula, gently spread batter evenly to edges of skillet (batter will seem to float on top of apples and pan juices). Bake until cake is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool in skillet 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of cake to loosen. Place large platter atop skillet. Using oven mitts or pot holders, hold platter and skillet firmly together and invert, allowing cake to settle onto platter.
Serve cake warm with whipped sweetened crème Fraiche.